7.11.08

Obama, 44th US President


A days ago, Barack Obama made history by being the first African - American to be elected president of the United States. I had been taking care of mom because she got “my nasty virus” and is sick. While tending to her, I have the TV on some news channel. I caught Obama’s historical acceptance speech in TV. Sakto e!

Honestly, politics ticks me off. Philippine politics do not interest me at all. I know I’m from UP, and since first year we have been taught to turn away from apathy and be socially aware, but I wasn’t exposed enough to have developed these (admirable) qualities.

Anyway, as I was watching I realized how Americans seemed to have a high regard to elections. Hindi kasi ganon dito. Filipinos tend to neglect their voting privileges, don’t they? Kasi we think one measly vote wouldn’t make a difference. We think our puny existence wouldn’t make a difference. Well, to that mentality I give you Obama’s exact words, “Yes, we can.”

I’m reading up on Obama’s speeches made during his campaign. I’m trying to see what his takes are on different issues. I’m just curious. Listening to his acceptance speech, looks like he’d make a very good preacher, but a US president? Let’s just wait and see.

No comments: