In the entirety of my college life, I have never received a failing grade, except on this one unit subject that is, FPD laboratory. Actually, I took that subject thrice and my failure to pass the first and the second time was the main reason for my delay. One measly effing unit!
Anyway, last Tuesday, as I was walking the halls, I came across my professor, Dr.T. (He was the one who gave me failing grades but over case discussions and tsismis moments, I’ve learned to like him.) That day, he asked me if I had things to do after lunch. I was pretty pissed off about the pustiso so I told him I had nothing to do. He asked if I could help him check the practical exams of pre-clinical students, 2nd year students. I agreed and I asked Cathy to tag along. Cathy took that subject twice. When some of our friends found out, they were even joking about us having PhD’s in the said subject.
There we were, checking other students’ work. It was a pass or fail exam. Dr. T was merely asking for a second opinion. Not that he doesn’t know what he’s doing; he just wanted people with “puso” to check the exam. He said we were more compassionate and learned because we experienced failing.
Cathy and I made sure that everyone who deserved (and those na pwede na) to pass would pass. We were very lenient. But still only a few people passed.
This afternoon, as my friends and I were having coffee, Serena(not her real name, obviously!) told me that her roommate who is one of the 2nd year students told her that most of her classmates are angry at the two clinicians who checked their practical exam. They were saying that our standards were higher than those of Dr.T’s.
My reaction? Paksyet! Una, wala na yatang tataas pa sa standard ni sir. Pangalawa, hindi ko sila kilala, kaya pwede wag silang magfeeling na personal ang ginawa namin. Pangatlo, sinalba na naming lahat ng pwede na. Kung hindi pa rin, hindi pa e.
If anyone understands how it feels to fail FPD, ako yun! And I know it’s hard to accept failure. The easiest way is to put the blame on other people. But where does that take you? No where near learning or improving.
But what I did realize is that it was very difficult for Dr.T to give failing grades. It’s not something personal. It’s not even because he’s a megalomaniac who likes it when people fail. (I used to think he’s like that.) It’s just that certain people have a difficult time learning the skill needed to pass. And it’s his responsibility to help us develop that skill para di kami makapatay ng tao.
Tomorrow, I would be taking a written exam in FPD in the auditorium. The 2nd year students would be there too. I just know I’ll be getting stares of anger from some of them. Keribels… I know I did nothing wrong.
2 comments:
"And it’s his responsibility to help us develop that skill para di kami makapatay ng tao." -- simple and straight to the point. nice! hehe.
Hi KC! Thanks for commenting dito.. haha!
So far so good.. wala pa kong napapatay na tao! haha
Post a Comment