These past few days, I have been hearing a lot about marriage. And most of what I hear are daunting and disheartening. There were numerous marriages broken up because of affairs others because of personal differences and still a few because of other reasons such as relatives, finances.
Whenever I hear stories like these a lot of emotions bathe me. Confusion sweeps past me as I try to figure out how a couple, who started out as two people who were deeply in love with each other, who vowed to love and care for each other; end up with a relationship with hurts, pains and bitterness. I mean, look around, a lot of young couples are publicly displaying their affection for each other. Who’s to say that they would not end up like the characters in the numerous stories I have heard? Who’s to say I’m not going to end up like that as well?
That’s when fear sets in. Each one of these couples fell in love. They were happy and hopeful. Does the love fade away? What went wrong? Is it really possible to be completely happy in a marriage? I could be deeply in love now, but no one could really guarantee that situations would not change in the future. What is it in marriage that somehow lifts the enchantment of love?
Because of the things that happened to me in the past, I became cynical about love. Eventually though, I have learned to love “love” again. But doubt slowly creeps in as I question the authenticity and sincerity of it all.
Love in itself is doubtful as no one could really define what it is. Some say it’s an emotion that takes you to places you’ve never been to (hopeless romantics), others say it’s a commitment that you have to stick with no matter what. But I guess love, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. We define it differently because we experience it differently. And maybe within the deepest confines of my brain and my heart I have a lot of definitions of love as well. But what ties all our definitions together is that, love makes us happy. I don’t believe love’s supposed to hurt.
Love is a commitment to take care of a solitary person, to always seek his good, to always understand, to always give and not expect anything in return, to always be truthful and loyal, to always trust, and to be blissful in each others companionship.
This is my current definition of love.
I refuse to be cynical about love. I maybe wearing rose-stained glasses but I choose to view love in its truest sense. I know it’s not supposed to be all glittery glamour but I am hopeful that the bliss would take away the pains of the blisters.
No comments:
Post a Comment