25.11.09

Rotten Politics


We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

Bits of news usually seep into my bloodstream through Tweets, Facebook Updates and the occasional TV on the bus. I rarely watch television and, honestly, I don’t intentionally pick up a newspaper to keep up with what’s happening.

Monday was a very busy day for me in the clinics. That was why when I heard Dr.T commenting on the Maguindanao Massacre, I wasn’t really listening. I went on with my day as I usually would.

It was just yesterday when I found out about it. I was on a bus with my ears plugged with phones, trying to drown the noise pollution with music. I casually threw a glance toward the television and I saw it; “Maguindanao Massacre”. My eyes were suddenly wide with disbelief. I pulled my earphones off hastily and tried to listen to what was being said. Apparently, because of Politics, 52 people were savagely killed. (Google it, as if you need to. It’s all over.)

It was a picture of pure evil. How can anyone take so many lives just because they can?

A number of families will be celebrating the holidays this year void of a loved one’s presence because other people’s greed, pride, and lust for power. We could only hope and pray that justice will be served. But quite frankly, aasa pa ba tayo?

No comments: