30.6.09

Case Discussions and Grinding

I started the day by riding an overloaded bus that crawled through the heavy traffic in Caloocan. Standing for an hour and a half cramped with all the people hurrying off to wherever they were headed left my feet sore and quite frankly, I felt physically violated as people would squeeze themselves behind me to get off of the bus. It was like grinding, only in a Baliwag Transit Bus. Ugh!

When I got to school, I sought my professor, Dr.A, to discuss one of my cases. In UPCD, Case Discussions are always big deals, at least for us clinicians. In case discussions we would prepare the patient work up, all the necessary diagnostic aids and the treatment plan. We would then conjure every ounce of knowledge we have acquired since we first stepped into the college, hoping against all hopes that we would be able to answer whatever our professors would ask.

Case discussions could bite both ways for us. We could prepare well and prove that we are worthy of the privileges of being a UPCD student or we could embarrass ourselves by staring at distant with glazed eyes as our teachers wait for an answer to their questions.

This particular discussion I had to do today was for my Pedodontics Case. (Pedodontics is the branch of Dentistry that deals with the management of young patients. Kids.) I had put off this discussion since last week since I never really liked treating kids. But a week of procrastination didn’t improve my confidence. I didn’t know what to expect. I was flustered and was ready to postpone the discussion again. But the need to graduate is greater than any fear. I marched up to Dr.A and asked her if I could discuss my case with her.

After 2 hours I was finally given the go signal to start the case. Relief washed over me. That wasn’t too bad after all. But I know, even now as I prepare for yet another discussion, that I will again go through the grueling emotions that come with every case.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. At the end of the day, I was back in one of the Baliwag Buses, tired and worn out, but happy that I’ve accomplished something.

Note to self: I will never again ride an overloaded bus. No to grinding in PUB's.

No comments: